As of March 26, 2012 the Professional Services Tools Library (PSTL) for Microsoft Dynamics GP is available free, at no additional cost. These tools used to each add $750-$1500 to the cost of Microsoft Dynamics GP. This suite includes 35 core tools plus 16 more that can be added separately. These tools help Microsoft Dynamics customers consolidate and change critical data throughout their entire system, without rekeying data in multiple places.
For updated information about this topic and Microsoft Dynamics GP 2015 read: 37 Free but Dangerously Powerful PSTL Tools for Microsoft Dynamics GP
A description of each tool is below, listed by series.
Finance Series Tools
- Account Modifier/Combiner (was $1000/now free) – change an old account number to a new account number, or combine like accounts into a single account without manually keying in the data. This tool includes both the account modifier and combiner.
- Fiscal Period Modifier (was $750/now free) – change fiscal year definitions effortlessly. It allows you to change the fiscal year by changing the year stamp on transactions.
- Checkbook Modifier (was $750/now free) – change existing checkbook Ids to new checkbook IDs. All work, open and history records are updated with no loss of data.
- Fixed Asset Modifier (was $750/now free) – reclassify an asset code within the fixed assets module and reflect that change in all tables throughout the system.
- General Ledger Master Record Triggers (was $1,500/now free) – avoid data entry by adding a general ledger account when you replicate records to another database.
Purchase Series Tools
- Vendor Modifier (was $750/now free) – change an existing vendor ID to a new vendor ID with the click of a button. Instead of having to key in a new vendor Id and re-key open invoices, you are able to update all work, open and history records seamlessly.
- Vendor Combiner (was $750/now free) – combine a vendor ID into another existing vendor ID. All the work, open and history records combine into the new vendor. No data is lost and the summary balances are recalculated. The original vendor ID is removed from the system after it is combined into the other vendor ID.
- Vendor Name Modifier (was $750/now free) – change an existing vendor name to a new vendor name with a click of the button. All work, open and history records are updated seamlessly.
- Payables Select Checks Combiner (free) – use this tool to consolidate checks to the same vendor when users are appending to an existing checks batch. This can be of great value if users frequently build batches of payables checks and select different document number ranges or different date ranges.
- Payables Minimum Check Utility (free) – Pick a minimum amount for your payables checks created through the select checks process. It will prevent any checks being created under the minimum amount specified.
- Payables Management Master Record Triggers (was $1500/now free) – avoid data entry by adding a vendor record and vendor address when you replicate records to another database.
- Minimum PO/Receipt Number (free) – Prevent purchase order processing from defaulting the next PO number or receipt number to a number that is previous to the current PO number – when an existing PO number is deleted. Option to set a minimum PO number default, so the system won’t default to anything below the minimum.
- 1099 Modifier (was $750/now free) – change documents to 1099 documents if you have incorrectly set up your vendors, or if you forgot to mark the 1099 vendor option on your vendor card for a year or a portion of the year. After marking the option, you can run this tool, which will mark all documents for that vendor as 1099 documents. It will then reconcile these amounts into your summary records so they print on your 1099 reports.
Sales Series Tools
- Territory Modifier (free) – change territory IDs in the system. The result is a new territory ID with no loss of data.
- Territory Combiner (free) – combine a territory Id into another territory ID without losing any work, open or history records. after the completion of the tool, the old territory is removed from the system.
- Customer Modifier (was $750/now free) – change customer numbers in the system. you can change from an existing customer number to a new customer number. Instead of having to key in a new customer number and re-keying all your open invoices, you can update all work, open, and history records with the click of a button.
- Customer Combiner (was $750/now free) – combine a customer number into another customer number without losing any work, open or history records. The old customer number is removed from the system after the completion of the tool and the summary records are recalculated to include both customers’ summary information.
- Customer Name Modifier (was $750/now free) – This tool enables you to change an existing customer name to a new customer name with a click of the button. All work, open and history records are updated seamlessly.
- Salesperson Modifier (was $750/now free) – change salesperson IDs. The result is a new salesperson ID and no data is lost or has to be re-keyed into system.
- Receivables Management Master Record Triggers (was $1,500/now free) – avoid data entry by adding a customer record and customer address record when you replicate records to another database.
- Receivables Management Transaction Unapply (was $750/now free) – unapply documents in the history table and automatically move the records back to the open table, allowing you to reapply the records as needed. This is a good alternative to removing history and re-keying data if the records are applied incorrectly.
- Employee Modifier (was $750/now free) – change an employee ID without losing any work, open or history records. A new employee ID is introduced to the system, while the existing one is removed.
- Certified Payroll Report (was $750/now free) – add a project number to employees’ hourly transactions and track these hours on a per/project basis. The transactions are then printed on a weekly report and are separated by project number with a breakdown for each employee by department, job title and pay code.
- Item Reconciler (free) – reconcile inventory or field service. This tool can increase performance if all items don’t need to be reconciled. Only those items that need reconciling will be reconciled using Professional Services Tools.
- Item Number Modifier (was $750/now free) – change an item number without losing any work, open or history records.
- Item Number Combiner (was $750/now free) – combine an item number into another item number without losing any work, open or history records. After the completion of the tool, the old item number is removed from the system.
- Item Description Modifier (was $750/now free) – create a new description for item numbers without a lot of manual data entry. All work, open and history records are updated.
- Inventory Site Modifier (was $750/now free) – change the site/location code without losing any data.
- Inventory Site Combiner (was $750/now free) – combine site/location code. It does not post adjustments to the general ledger.
- Sales Order Processing Customer Item Lookup (was $750/now free) – Store customer-specific ordering history along with last invoice date and last price used. A lookup is available from within sales order processing entry and the sales item detail window.
- Toolkit (free) – rebuild the gL00105 without going into SQL query analyzer, turn on/off dexsql.log, rebuild indexes and recreate dex Procs and tables.
- Database Disabler (was $750/now free) – allows the ‘sa’ user to disable any company database. once the database is disabled, the company option is removed from the login window you see when logging into dynamics or eEnterprise. The company database can easily be ‘re-activated.’
- Shortcuts Copy (was $750/now free) – copy the shortcuts options from one user to another user. This is especially useful when multiple users have to set up specific, frequently used shortcuts for third-party windows or data entry windows.
- Menu Inquiry Utility (free) – The Menu Inquiry utility allows you to see all of the commands on the menus, hidden or not, and helps identify where those commands come from (which product) and other properties of the commands.
*Tools Only Available for Dynamics GP 2010 (version 11) or later
- SOP PO number Check* – Verify customer Po numbers for duplicates as data is entered into the field on both the SOP Entry window and the SOP customer detail entry window.
- POP Cost Defaulter* – use this tool to default in the Standard cost or the current cost within the Purchase order entry window instead of the vendor specific Last Invoice cost.
- Default Add Item POP/SOP* – automatically mark the add Item option to be marked in Sales Transaction Entry, Purchase Order Entry, POP Receiving’s Entry and Purchasing Invoice Entry.
- Doc Date Verify* – Verify document dates fall in a valid fiscal period when entered in Payables Transaction Entry or Receivables Transaction Entry. If the date does not fall within a valid fiscal period, a message will be issued and the user will not be allowed to continue until the date is in a valid period. This customization will also do a validation if the period is closed.
- Decimal Place Tool* – adjust the check amount in Words to two decimals, for both Payables Management and Payroll checks. This tool is useful when the currencies in Microsoft Dynamics GP have been changed to more than two decimals, which can alter the amount when a check prints. NOTE: Report Writer must be used to modify the check report and adjust the currency fields.
- Update User Date* – automatically update the user date at midnight. The application will run in the background as long as Microsoft Dynamics GP is open. This tool can be useful when the solution is left open on a machine overnight running integrations or other processes.
*available only on Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010 or later.
New Professional Services Tools Now Available Upon Request:
- Auto Dim – Allows you to launch Microsoft Dynamics GP and run one or more integrations or integration groups and have Microsoft Dynamics GP exit upon completion of the integrations. This tool also supports integrating into several different companies.
- Auto Post – Allows you to call a COM DLL to post Sales Order Processing, GL Transaction Entry, IV Transaction Entry and RM Cash Receipt Batches.
- Detail Payroll Activity Tracking – Allows you to track all employee changes made in Microsoft Dynamics GP.
- POP Over Receipt Tolerance – Allows a receipt tolerance percentage for quantities. A setup window allows the user to enter a tolerance percentage, that percentage is then used when a Purchase Order is received. The highest quantity that can be received is the original quantity ordered plus the percentage amount.
- PO Returns – When invoicing a receipt in POP, this tool will check the previous quantity invoiced and the quantity returned for the line item. The maximum quantity allowed to be invoiced is based the following formula: Quantity Shipped minus (Previous Quantity Invoiced plus Quantity Returned). This tool will not allow invoicing of more than this amount.
- RM Auto Apply – Allows the user to Mass Apply posted RM Credit Documents to posted RM Debit Documents. The user can select a range of Customer, Debit Document Dates, Credit Document Dates, and a Credit Document Type restriction if desired.
- Shipment Notification – Allows drop ship sales orders to be transferred to invoice prior to invoicing the purchase order.
- SOP Default Per Site Line – This tool defaults the site from the Cards | Inventory | Quantities | Sites for each line item entered in the SOP transaction.
- SOP Sort Line Items – Allows the user to define custom sorting options to display line items in Sales Order Processing.
- SOP to POP Line Reordering Utility – This tool will reorder the line items of Purchase Orders generated by the SOP to POP transfer process to be in the same order as they originally were on the Sales Order document(s).
If you were to add all of these tools to your Dynamics GP system separately you would have paid $21,250 (although Microsoft offered a bundle price of $5,000, which of course is a better deal). But now they are all free! However, keep in mind that you will likely still need to pay for installation and training for these tools. They can only be downloaded and installed by your Microsoft partner.
An implementation consultant at CAL Business Solutions warns, “As excited as we are about these tools, we have to warn you, “This is not a toy”. Some of the tools are very powerful and can change the entire structure and foundation of your company in Dynamics GP. So my advice to all our clients is, “don’t try this at home.” CAL can help you determine which tools you need, how to set them up and if they will impact any integrations, customizations or ISV products installed.”
If you are interested in installing PSTL tools for Microsoft Dynamics GP please contact CAL Business Solutions email@example.com or your partner of record for more information and assistance.
By Anya Ciecierski, CAL Business Solutions, Connecticut Microsoft Dynamics GP Partner