GP Power Tools for Microsoft Dynamics GP is a Dexterity, Visual C# and Visual Basic .Net based integrated product for Microsoft Dynamics GP which contains a collection of utilities and tools to make the tasks of administering, supporting and developing Microsoft Dynamics GP easier and faster.
GP Power Tools is based on the product previously known as the Support Debugging Tool for Microsoft Dynamics GP.
We recently talked with one of our Dynamics GP consultants John, about why he loves GP Power Tools from Winthrop Development Consultants. He really loves how many different tools the solution can provide, one tool he really likes is the system logs functionality. The user can just hit a hot key and it will create 5 system logs including a dexsql.log. A few other favorite features that many of our customers are taking advantage of is the ability to change a user’s password where it automatically emails it to them, and the option to have color schemes for different companies.
Below is the full list of all the features that are available with GP Power Tools, with so many options there is bound to be a tool to help everyone!
* GP Power Tools is sold as three modules which can be bought separately, with some standard features available when any module is registered. The three modules available and the features are:
- Avoid data entry errors! Company based color schemes provide an immediate visual cue to which company is being used.
- Gain full administrative and audit control of your security system, including Deny-Based Security and Dynamic Product Selection.
- Roll out Dex.ini setting and Launch File changes to all workstations.
- Simplify troubleshooting by disabling third party products and customizations (including Visual Studio Add-ins and VBA).
- Users can customize window positions and sizes based on the how they use the system.
- Manage user licenses with user activity tracking, automatic logout and login limits.
- Create, execute and publish scripts from inside Dynamics GP, using Dexterity, Transact-SQL, Visual C# and Visual Basic.Net.
- Create triggers to schedule events, customize Dynamics GP, and debug issues by automatically capturing logs. Works for original or modified windows.
- Build custom Report Writer functions, custom Service Based Architecture (SBA) service procedures or custom URL Drill Backs.
- Request parameters from users for scripts without needing any additional programming and perform actions on SQL results returned.
- Group triggers, scripts and parameter lists together into development projects for easy maintenance and exporting & importing.
- Synchronize and repair Dynamics GP Companies and Users with SQL Server Databases, Logins and Database Users.
- Update Logins and passwords after moving to a new SQL Server or when creating test environments.
- Clean up system tables and validate database integrity and table structures before upgrading to minimize upgrade issues.
- Export and import selected data from multiple tables using XML for quick transfer of small amounts of data between systems or for backups.
- Easily reset user passwords and change password policy settings.
Essential system features that come with the first module you register:
- Capture and email 5 system logs in “One-Click”.
- Capture and email a full system status report and screenshots of all open windows in “One-Click”.
- Send emails from inside Dynamics GP even with no email client installed.
- Change Dex.ini and registry settings from inside GP, including making GP work well on high resolution monitors.
The tools contain two types of features: Standard Mode and Advanced Mode. Standard Mode features can be used safely by all users. Advanced Mode features require system administrator or database owner (dbo) privileges and require expertise in Dexterity, Visual C#, Visual Basic.Net and/or SQL Server administration.
Watch an Introduction to GP Power Tools
Interested in GP Power Tools? Winthrop Development Consulting offers a FREE 30 Day trial of the product, so contact CAL if you would like to sign up!
By Amy Mackiewicz, CAL Business Solutions, Connecticut Microsoft Dynamics GP & Acumatica Partner, www.calszone.com