Testing is a crucial step in every Microsoft Dynamics GP upgrade. You can use this “cheat sheet” checklist as a basis for what needs to be done for each main module in Dynamics GP, including what to test and create and reports to run.
Note: This is not a replacement for testing daily, monthly, annually work for each user and it does not include testing of any third parties.
Dynamics GP System
- Posting Setups
- Posting Defaults are still in place
- Intercompany Setups
- Templates working correctly?
- Integrations working? SmartConnect or Integration Manager
- Verify your tax tables have come over
Dynamics GP General Ledger
- Financial Deferrals are still up and working
- Transaction Matching is still up and running.
- Bank Reconciliation
- Financial Deferrals
- Check System Defaults for Segments (Admin > Company > Segments)
- For GP2010 and prior versions: All Accounts have been assigned Z-US$
- Verify that your budget still exists (Cards > Financial > Budgets)
- Verify that all of your Quick Journals are still available
- Create a new account
- Create a new GL Transaction: General Journal
- Can you still create a Bank Deposit? Or, if automated, verify that you are getting one deposit per cash receipts
- Print a Trial Balance Summary for the day of the switch-over. Does it match your report for the previous day?
- Trial Balance Detail check reports used on a Daily-Weekly-Monthly basis
- SmartList: Verify your reports in SmartList are still up and working
Dynamics GP Fixed Assets:
- In Test, run depreciation and post to GL (only in test system)
- Verify that all your account groups are correct – just verify a handful
- A new asset
- Bring in an asset from PO or AP, if possible
- Create the General Asset
- Create the Book Asset
- Is it assigning the next number, as expected?
- Once assigned to the Group, did the right accounts come in?
- Depreciate this single asset
- Run a report showing your last depreciation against your Book
- Run a report showing your NBV
- Run a report showing all Assets by Class
- Verify against the same reports in your old system
Dynamics GP Payables Management
- Create & Verify Transactions Invoice and CR Memo and apply
- Vendors: Can you create a new Vendor?
- If you did a count on all vendors, is it the same?
- Default posting accounts for vendors, did they come over?
- Transactions Entry: Invoice
- Post the transactions
- Can you select and print checks?
- Can you create an EFT and generate the report for the EFT?
- For POP:
- Invoice a Purchase Order and if find any changes to amounts, change amounts
- Trial Balance History to a point in time (Month End, Previous Month)
- Trial Balance with Options
- Cash Requirements Reports
- SmartLists in AP being used on a Daily-Weekly-Monthly basis
- Any SSRS Reports/Excel Reports being tested
Dynamics GP Purchase Order Processing
- If you have multiple types of PO’s or Documents test all, especially if multiple logos are involved
- A new Purchase Order
- Print the Purchase Order
- if you have an auto-send setup, please verify that it is working
- if e-mailing the PO. verify that the word template is working on the e-mail
- Receive a Purchase Order
- AP: Invoice a Purchase Order (see AP)
- Run a report for all open PO’s and verify that they agree with what you had open prior to the upgrade
- Look at SmartList to verify all open PO’s and Line items
Dynamics GP Receivables Management
- Customer Count is correct as before, the same number of Customers
- Customer Posting Account Defaults exist
- Create a new Customer
- Add an additional Shipping Address
- Vendor/Customer Table exists and is correct
- New Customer
- Add a new Invoice
- Add a new Credit Memo
- Add a return and apply against the open Invoice (if you use returns)
- Historical Aged Trial Balance (previous period) matches
- Aged Trial Balance with Options matches
- SmartLists for AR being used on Daily-Weekly-Monthly basis exist
Dynamics GP Sales Order Processing
Any integrations, any customs that are part of Sales Order Processing
- Create a Quote, Order, Invoice (depending on your system)
- Verify all parts of the Invoice including taxes
- Customer, Ship to, Dating, Default Site, PO are all working
- Transfer a Quote to an Order (depending on what you do normally)
- Transfer an Order to an invoice (depending on what you do normally
- Verify that you’re able to see all open Invoices that were in the system prior to the upgrade
- Go into SmartList and verify that the reports you use Daily-Weekly-Monthly are working
- Verify that your numbering system is there and correct for the next number and transferring to a new number
- Verify that the batches you use in your process all exist
Dynamics GP Inventory:
- A new Inventory Item
- Verify that you can put in a List Price/Currency
- Verify that it is picking up your taxes correctly
- Verify that you can create your price list
- Verify that you can add Vendors and Vendor Items
- Verify that you can add vendor pricing.
- Verify that you can build a kit
- Create an Inventory Transfer
- Create an Inventory Adjustment
- Verify your inventory by doing a count sheet
- Is this count sheet the same as the day before cut off?
- Verify any changes due to testing by SOP above
- Verify that all inventory SmartLists are available for Daily-Weekly-Monthly reports
Dynamics GP Payroll
- Test Garnishments
- Test Payroll in arrears
- Test Payroll dating for changes in user’s payroll
- Direct Deposit file is correct
- Run a Regular Payroll for comparison purposes
- Run your Salary Payroll for comparison purposes
- Be aware of any changes to Payroll Taxes due to dating
- Review all Daily-Weekly-Monthly Reporting
- Review all SmartLists that you previous used
- Use SmartList to do a headcount of all employees
For more great Microsoft Dynamics GP tips and tricks visit www.calszone.com/tips
If you are looking for Microsoft Dynamics GP support and training contact CAL Business Solutions at 860-485-0910 x4 or firstname.lastname@example.org
By Sue Conrod, CAL Business Solutions, www.calszone.com