Now that Management Reporter (MR) has replaced FRx for Microsoft Dynamics GP, you have to distribute reports a little differently.
With FRx you used to be able to put an email on the security tree, which you can’t do anymore. You can put the user on the tree so that they only see the parts of the tree that they have access to, but you can’t automatically send the report.
One of the best ways to distribute the MR reports is through a report group. When you distribute through a report group there is a link that stays the same all the time. You can click on the link and the report opens up in your web browser. Then when you open the report the next time you will see the most recent report that was printed.
You can schedule a report to print at any interval you want, such as every hour. So when you go to that link you will have an up‑to-date report that was run hourly. No user has to go in and generate the report manually it is just there and working. When you set it up as a report group, anybody in that group who has certain reports that they need to see can click on the link and all of their reports are right there on the screen in front of them.
Even users who don’t have access to Microsoft Dynamics GP and don’t have Management Reporter installed can still get the reports right from their web browser!
Here is a helpful summary:
Management Reporter Distribution
1 MOVING FROM FRx TO GP
- Using the report tree for email in FRx versus Security in MR
- You can no longer email reports, only set security to the tree
- Security to tree allows only 1 report to be created but users can only
view their tree
2 SETTING UP THE REPORT LIBRARY AND LINKED FOLDERS
- Create folders and subfolders in the Report Library
- Everyone must have access to root library folder!
- Create network share for link locations
- For sending to a folder on the computer
3 OUTPUT AND DISTRIBUTION
- Report Library Distribution
- Select a folder for Report Library
- Link Location
- Must be a shared path (UNC)
4 REPORT GROUPS
- Printing multiple reports at once
- Setting Output and Distribution on the report groups
- Creating Shortcut to External Location in GP
- Creating shortcut for users without GP
5 SCHEDULING REPORTS
- Schedule Reports to run automatically
- Link to Report Group is always available
If you are interested in Management Reporter training for Microsoft Dynamics GP upgrade, contact CAL Business Solutions email@example.com or 860-485-0910 x4.
By Daniel Saffo, Application Support Technician at CAL Business Solutions